I am a regular listener of a podcast from NPR called Pop Culture Happy Hour, in which the hosts discuss their favorites in the realm of pop culture: books, movies, TV shows, et cetera. In that spirit, I thought I would share some things that are making me happy this week.
1. Torchwood Miracle Day Announced – I have been anxiously awaiting the return of this phenomenal show. I have been a little nervous since it was a British show being transplanted to the United States. But with John Barrowman and Eve Myles on board, I know that the show will live up to its previous greatness. This show will be one the premium cable network Starz. (Might have to contemplate subscribing for the summer!)
2. David Cook spread in Runway Magazine – One of my favorite singers to come onto the scene in a long time is now is a spread in a fashion magazine. I am not one for purchasing fashion magazine but in this case, I made the exception. I am looking forward to reading the interview because he’s very intelligent and funny in most interviews. Also, he’s easy on the eyes so even if the singing thing doesn’t pan out at least he has something to fall back on! LOL (I am totally kidding as many would have my head if I was serious!)
3. The Grand Magnolias – I was so stoked that I discovered this band. Their lead singer, Paul McDonald, is currently a contestant on American Idol. I was impressed by Paul a few weeks ago during the shows early rounds. I was so excited to discover that his band had put out an album last year. The Grand Magnolias have a fantastic sound and I am blown away that they hadn’t gotten signed before. Another cool thing is that Paul is actually from my hometown of Huntsville, AL. I really dig his sound and wish him all the best on the show. Give this album a listen because it is fantastic.
4. Looking for Alaska by John Green – A friend of mine recommended this book to me and I am absolutely loving it. I know I am kind of late in the game because this book came out six years ago but better late than never right? Since I do not work much with fiction at the library, I tend to be late in the game with certain fiction trends especially in Young Adult fiction. So far this book is great and can’t wait to read more. (Thanks Michael for the recommendation!)
5. Doctor Who Red Nose Day on BBC’s Comic Relief Night – I love Doctor Who and love it when they participate in this. It always very entertaining. Matt Smith and Karen Gillan are great and can’t wait for the series to come back! The link is just for part one.